Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spring has sprung

According to the U.S. Naval Observatory, the vernal equinox occurred yesterday afternoon, probably around the time that Don & I were walking to Starbucks for an after-lunch treat (he, an iced tea which he forgot to ask for unshaken, and me, a cinnamon dolce latte). I was blithely unaware that it was officially spring, but frankly ever since the snow stopped, right around March 1st (Central Ohio had measurable snow every damned day in February), it's felt like spring to me, and we have had a remarkably mild March so far. In the early evening, still not knowing about the equinox, I went outside and everything was so pleasant, I was moved to take a few pictures. As it turned out, I was capturing the arrival of spring. First, the pretty yellow flowers near our front porch--daffodils, I'm told--that survived the foot or so of snow beneath which their sprouts were buried:

For contrast, the ugly lump of ice/snow still left in the parking lot, despite several 60-degree days in a row. Of course, just a few weeks ago, this lump was a pile taller than a person, which went up far past the top of the brick wall behind it. (Kinda looks like The Blob, doesn't it?):

Finally, the gorgeous sunset, to which my little digital Kodak camera couldn't really do justice:

As I was snapping these pix, I was thinking, "If I didn't know better, I'd swear it had been a lovely spring day!" Now I come to find out, it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment