Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Chicken paprikash pot pie

I like to cook, but I'm not a gourmet cook, nor am I an adventurous cook. I mostly stick with one-dish skillet meals, and one of the best is this recipe from the Pillsbury One-Dish Meals Cookbook, which is full of great-tasting and easy recipes. This is the recipe I've given out most often. It is easy and yummy.


2 refrigerated pie crusts
4 slices of bacon, crumbled
3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts,
cut up in 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen sweet peas
1/2 cup sour cream
12 oz jar chicken gravy
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 teaspoons paprika

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare pie crust as directed on package for two-crust pie using 9-inch pie pan.

2. In large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings with bacon on skillet. [I cook the bacon whole, drain it, then crumble it back into the skillet]

3. Add chicken to skillet; cook and stir until no longer pink. Add onions, bell pepper and carrots; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Stir in peas. [I don't usually use peppers, but I do sprinkle in a little crushed pepper mix]

4. In small bowl, combine all remaining ingredients; mix well. Stir into chicken mixture in skillet. Spoon into crust-lined pan. Top with second crust and flute edges; cut slits or small designs in several places on top of crust.

5. Bake at 425 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cover edge of crust with strips of foil after 10 to 15 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning. [I have an aluminum ring I use for this] Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment