Sunday, February 8, 2009

My Indian dish

I'm not a gourmet cook by any means, but I do like to cook, mostly single-skillet or casserole meals. Tonight I made one of my favorites (and one of Don's as well), chicken tikka masala with cardamom basmati rice. It's the only Indian dish I make, and the recipe I use is pretty easy (as long as I remember to marinate the chicken for at least an hour before I start to cook). It's from a cookbook by the hunky Dave Lieberman--can you think of any better reason to buy a cookbook than that the author is hot? I took a picture of the dish but it looked like chunky mud on a plate; that makes me appreciate how hard it is for food photographers to get dishes to look appetizing--no wonder they use food that's been sprayed down with plastic. So I guess I'll put a pic of Dave with my post instead.

You marinate cut-up chicken in a yogurt/honey/mixture with spices and garlic, then you put onions in the skillet, cook with curry powder and tomato paste, throw the chicken in, and let cook for 15 minutes. I cook the basmati rice in an electric steamer with caradmom & butter. My only complaint is that the smell of curry powder stays in the house for days. But there are never leftovers. Of course, Don & I rarely leave leftovers of anything. We had a mediocre Gewürztraminer with dinner; it's hard to find a really good one these days.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, maybe I need to get that cookbook, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if you never cook a single thing from it!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete